The Art&Signs Curriculum is addressed to museum workers aimed at transferring them the necessary knowledge and skills in order to be able to welcome and accompany Deaf visitors in the museum by explaining the meaning of the artworks hosted in.
In order to achieve this goal, a set of educational and training materials are designed by the partnership covering the following topics:
- basic language skills of the National Sign Languages used in the partner countries (Slovakia, Italy, Cyprus, Netherlands, Romania and Spain)
- basic skills in International Signs
- sectoral signs related to the art and culture
- knowledge about the Deaf culture
- communication processes and approaches to be adopted with Deaf people.
The Curriculum is developed with the essential support of the Deaf young people and adults experienced in the field of art and culture who will be also involved during the implementation of the training programme in each partner country. The cooperation between hearing and Deaf trainers is crucial in order to ensure the inclusion at social and professional level as well as to make Deaf people protagonist in the development of a training programme concerning their world in terms of language and culture.
The main target groups who can benefit directly and indirectly from the implementation of the Art&Signs Curriculum are:
- Museum workers: curators, museum educators, museum docents, front-office employees, museum guides
- Deaf trainers, Deaf artists, trainers Sign Language users, VET providers
- Stakeholders: Deaf associations, museum institutions, organizations, public institutions and companies dealing with accessibility and social inclusion.
This training programme is innovative because it takes into account two different perspectives: the museum workers as the beneficiaries of the training and the Deaf community who will gain greater accessibility to culture places through better training of museum staff. The educational model is highly transferable as it can be addressed to other VET contexts for upskilling workers and might be considered as an information source for museum institutions and Deaf community at European level.
The Curriculum covers 50 hours blended learning training to be implemented through face-to-face sessions and online activities to by using the Art&Signs e-learning platform hosting the video-dictionaries and learning materials.